Lucky
Lucky 🤍 8 August 2026
Today I lost a cat who was never technically mine.
When I first moved into this house, Lucky was always hanging around my porch. She was clean, fat and looks healthy. Later I found out she actually belonged to nobody in particular, she moved between my house and my neighbour’s.
I never fed her because I already have two cats of my own.
But she kept coming back.
This morning, before I went for my run, I saw my neighbour’s car hit a cat.
I told him, “You ran over a cat.”
I saw his son get out and look for her.
I left for my run thinking they would handle it if anything since they were made aware.
Hours later, when I came home, I saw Lucky lying on my porch.
Something was wrong.
She was limping. She was clearly hurt. And when I realised how badly injured she was.
I picked her up and rushed her to the vet.
The injuries were devastating. A displaced femur fracture, a pelvic fracture and a severe diaphragmatic hernia. The vet explained that surgery would be extensive, and even then, there was no guarantee she would survive or recover. The pain and aftercare would be immense.
And then came the question I never wanted to hear.
Am I making the right decision?
The vet told me yes.
So I held onto Lucky for as long as I could.
And then I let her go.
I hate that her last day had to be like this.
I hate that someone could hit an animal and simply leave.
But I'm also trying to remember something else.
Lucky came to my house because she felt safe here.
She spent her days on my porch. She became part of the little rhythm of this home, even though she was never officially ours.
And when she needed someone most, she came home.
So today, Lucky became mine.
I brought her home one last time and buried her in my backyard.
I didn't tell the neighbours.
Maybe they will ask.
Maybe they won't.
But I will remember.
I will remember the little cat who kept showing up at my door.
I will remember that I couldn't save her life, but I could make sure she wasn't alone at the end.
And I hope, wherever she is now, there is no more pain.
Just sunshine, warm porches, and endless places to wander.
Rest easy, Lucky. 🤍🐾
You were loved. Even if only for a little while.
Comments
Post a Comment